CONTACT US ON : 0401 587 303

The “What The Hell” Approach

The “What The Hell” Approach

Binge

Did you know…

95% of people regain all of the weight that they’ve lost within a few years. While this exact number may or may not be correct, the general concept is: most people who lose weight (through any diet and/or exercise) will gain it all back within some period of time.

One of the biggest reasons people fail their diets is that they are to rigid. When they are on a diet, THEY ARE ON A DIET! The problem is that any slip, no matter how big or small, is taken as complete failure. The diet is abandoned and the post-diet food binge begins.  This is what is termed the “What The Hell” Approach. And it goes like this…

We have all known someone or maybe we have experienced the following situation. One piece of chocolate eaten in a moment of weakness or distraction, the guilt sets in, and the rest of the block is GONE. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right? Psychologists refer to such individuals as rigid dieters, they see the world in a rather extreme right or wrong approach, either they are on their diet, and 100% perfection is expected, or they are off their diet, inhaling crap in as fast as it will go. Another example is “stuffing up” with beers on a Friday night and saying “f*#k it” ill start again on Monday, and binge the whole weekend, “making the most of it”. Because diets cant possibly start on any other day but Monday.

Why does it have to be one extreme to the other?

If you take the attitude that anything less than absolute perfection is a failure, you’re pretty much doomed from the start.

Lets talk about the 80/20 principle which says that ‘If you’re doing what you’re supposed to do 80% of the time, the other 20% doesn’t matter’. If your diet is solid (clean, lean, whole foods) 80% of the time, then the other 20% shouldn’t make an impact (unless you make it).

Lets appreciate the efforts we are making to change habits, and not be quick to abandon the diet for the very same reason we started it.

***